First things first
The Bible begins by telling us that there is a God (Genesis 1:1). Today many people doubt God's existence, but the world around us offers evidence of a Creator (Romans 1 v 20) and the fact that we all possess a conscience points us towards the existence of God. The Bible teaches that God is the maker of heaven and earth, animals and humans (Genesis 1-2).
Now the bad news
Shortly after human beings were made, they chose to disobey a command of God (Genesis 3). They sinned. Sin is where we reject God's laws and choose to do our own thing. Being holy, God can't simply allow this rebellion to go unchecked. He punished sin by allowing death to enter the world. God has also promised a final judgment at the end of human history.
Finally, the good news!
Thankfully God is also merciful! In His amazing love for sinners, God sent His Son Jesus Christ into the world to die in their place (Romans 5:8). On the cross, Jesus bore God's wrath in the place of undeserving people like us. By doing this, Jesus exhausted the demands of God's righteous judgement. He then rose in victory over sin and death.
We must respond!
Most news stories don't require any response on our part. They are just information. But the gospel ('good news') is news that requires a response. It is similar to the news that says, "your house is on fire" - that demands a response, especially if you're in the house! We respond to the good news by repenting of our sins and trusting in Jesus Christ. Have you turned away from your old life of sin, and trusted in Jesus Christ to cleanse you and provide forgiveness for your sins?
Questions You May Have
- Can I trust the Bible?
- Hasn't science proved religion wrong?
- Why does God allow suffering?
- Can I really believe in the resurrection?
- Aren't all the religions the same?
- Does God really exist?
- How can a loving God send anyone to hell?
- Doesn't Christianity cause conflict?
- What is the main message of Christianity?
Important Bible Verses
- For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23)
- Therefore, just as sin entered the world thorugh one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned (Romans 5:12)
- For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23)
- "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
- "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9)
- "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1)