A time comes in life when we start to ask the really 'big' questions. You know the ones. Questions like 'why am I here'?, 'does my life have meaning'? and 'is death the end of the story'?
The Bible can help us answer these questionsy. In doing so, it offers grace for the past, purpose for the present and hope for the future.
First things first
The Bible begins by telling us that there is a God. Many people doubt God's existence today. But nature shows abundant evidence of God's design (Romans 1 v 20) and the fact we have a moral conscience is a strong proof of a moral Creator. This Creator is eternal, pure, and all powerful. He is the maker of heaven and earth, animals and humans (Genesis 1-2). In the beginning God made a world that was free from sin.
Now the bad news
Shortly after human beings were made they chose to disobey God's command (Genesis 3). They sinned. Sin is where we reject God's laws and choose to live as gods of our own lives. Being perfectly holy, God cannot simply allow such rebellion to go unchecked. He punished sin by allowing death to enter the world, and has promised a final judgment at the end of human history.
Finally, the good news!
Thankfully God is also merciful and gracious! In His great love for sinners, God sent His Son Jesus Christ into the world to die in their place. On the cross, Jesus bore God's wrath in the place of undeserving people like us. By doing this Jesus exhausted the demands of God's righteous judgement. He then rose in victory over sin and death.
We must respond!
Most news items we hear do not require any response on our part. It is mere information. But the gospel message is news that requires a response. It is similar to the news "your house is on fire" - that demands a response, especially if you're in the house! We respond to the good news by repenting of our sins and trusting in Jesus Christ. Have you turned away from your old life of sin, and trusted in Jesus Christ to cleanse you and provide forgiveness for your sins?
Questions You May Have
- Can I trust the Bible?
- Hasn't science proved religion wrong?
- Why does God allow suffering?
- Can I really believe in the resurrection?
- Aren't all the religions the same?
- Does God really exist?
- How can a loving God send anyone to hell?
- Doesn't Christianity cause conflict?
- What is the main message of Christianity?
Important Bible Verses
- For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23)
- Therefore, just as sin entered the world thorugh one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned (Romans 5:12)
- For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23)
- "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
- "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9)
- "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1)